Sonam Wangchuk is an Indian Engineer, education reformist. He invented the Ice Stupa technique that creates artificial glaciers, used for storing winter water in the form of a conical-shaped ice heap. He is the founding director of Students’ Educational and Cultural Movement of Ladakh (SECMOL), founded in 1998.
|Real Name||Sonam Wangchuk|
|Date of Birth||6 September 1966|
|Birth Place||Uley Tokpa, Ladakh, India|
|Age (as in 2020)||53 Years|
|School||Vishesh Kendriya Vidyala, Delhi|
|College/University||National Institute of Technology (NIT),
CRAterre School of Architecture, Grenoble,
|Educaional Qualification||B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
Masters in Earthen Architecture
|Family||Father- Sonam Wangyal (former politician)
Mother- Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Sister- No Known
|Marital Status||Not Known|
Sonam Wangchuk Physical Stats
|Height||n centimeters- 172 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 71 kg
in Pounds- 157 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
Early Life / Carrer
- Sonam Wangchuk was born in 1966 in Uleytokpo, close to Alchi within the Leh district of Ladakh. He wasn’t enrolled in school till the age of nine, as there have been not many colleges in his village. His mother instructed him all the fundamentals in his own first language till that age.
- Sonam Wangchuk considers himself lucky to possess been spared the pains of schooling in alien languages that different Ladakhi youngsters were forced to find out.
- His father Sonam Wangyal, an officer who later became the minister in authorities, was stationed in Srinagar. At age 9, he was taken to Srinagar and listed in a very faculty there.
- Since he looked completely different compared to the opposite students, he would get self-addressed in a very language that he didn’t perceive. because of that, his lack of responsiveness was mistaken for him being stupid.
- He recollects this era because of the darkest a part of his life. Unable in-tuned the treatment, in 1977 he looses alone to metropolis wherever he pleaded his case to the varsity principal at Vishesh Kendriya Vidyala.
- Wangchuk completed his B.Tech. in applied science from the National Institute of Technology Srinagar (then REC Srinagar) in 1987. [failed verification] because of variations along with his father over the selection of engineering stream, he had to finance his own education.
- He additionally went for 2 years of upper studies in stuff design at Craterre faculty of design in the metropolis, France in 2011
Awards and honors
- Ramon Magsaysay Award, 2018.
- Eminent Technologist of the Himalayan Region by IIT Mandi, 2018.
- Indians for Collective Action (ICA) Honor Award 2017, San Francisco, CA.
- GQ Men of the Year Awards, Social Entrepreneur of the Year, 2017.
- Global Award for Sustainable Architecture, 2017.
- State Award for outstanding environmentalist by J&K Govt., 2017.
- Rolex Award for Enterprise, 2016.
- International Terra Award for best earth building, 2016.
- UNESCO Chair Earthen Architecture, by CRATerre France, 2014.
- Real Heroes Award by CNN-IBN TV, 2008.
- The Green Teacher Award by Sanctuary Asia, 2004.
- Ashoka Fellowship for Social Entrepreneurship, by Ashoka USA, 2002.
- Man of the Year by The Week, 2001.
- Governor’s Medal for educational reform in Jammu & Kashmir, 1996.