Lalu Prasad Yadav is an Indian Politician and Former Chief Minister of Bihar. He is also the President of Rashtriya Janata Dal, former UPA minister of railways, and former member of Parliament of the 15th Lok Sabha. A special CBI court in Ranchi gave him 14 years imprisonment, because of corruption charges in Fodder Scam. In 2013 Lalu Yadav was sentenced to five.
|Real Name||Lalu Prasad Yadav|
|Date of Birth||11 June 1948|
|Age (as in 2020)||72 Years|
|Birth Place||Phulwaria, Gopalganj, Bihar, India|
|Hometown||Phulwaria, Gopalganj, Bihar, India|
|College||B. N. College, Patna University, Patna, Bihar|
|Debut||Elected in the 6th Lok Sabha (1977)
|Party||Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD, 1977)
|Biggest Rival||Narendra Modi|
Lalu Prasad was born on 11 June 1948 in Phulwaria, Gopalganj, Bihar, India. He turned down Patna University’s Honorary Doctorate in 2004. Yadav married Rabri Devi on 1 June 1973, in an arranged marriage, and they went on to have two sons and seven daughters.
Lalu entered in student politics as the general secretary of the Patna University Students
- 1977: Elected to the 6th Lok Sabha at the age of 29.
- 1980–1989: Member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly (two terms).
- 1989: A Leader of Opposition of Bihar Legislative Assembly, Chairman of Pustakalaya Committee, Convenor of Committee on Public Undertakings. Re-elected to the 9th Lok Sabha (2nd term).
- 1990–1995: Member of the Bihar Legislative Council.
- 1990–1997: Chief Minister of Bihar
- 1995–1998: Member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly.
- 1996: Lalu implicated in Fodder Scam
- 1997: Splits from Janata Dal to form Rashtriya Janata Dal.
- 1998: Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (3rd term).
- 1998–1999: Member of General Purposes Committee, Committee on Home Affairs and its Sub Committee on Swatantrata Sainik Samman Pension Scheme, Consultative Committee of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- 2004: Re-elected to the 14th Lok Sabha (4th term). Appointed Cabinet Minister in the Ministry of Railways in UPA govt. Lalu, wife Rabri Devi, son Tejashwi Yadav, and daughter Misa Bharti booked for railway tender bribery scam, disproportionate illegal property, and income tax evasion cases in 2017.
- 2009: Re-elected to the 15th Lok Sabha (5th term) and disqualified in 2013 subsequent to his conviction in the first fodder scam case.
- 2020: RJD declares Lalu as mahagathBandhan coordinator for Assembly polls.
Lalu Prasad and his wife have 9 children.
|Tej Pratap Yadav||Elder son||Married Aishwarya Ray, granddaughter of Bihar’s ex-CM Daroga Prasad Rai||ex Health Minister of Bihar|
|Tejashwi Yadav||Younger son||ex-cricketer, ex Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar|
|Dr. Misa Bharti||1st daughter (eldest)||Married a software engineer Shailesh Kumar in 1999||Misa was nominated as Rajya Sabha MP by RJD in 2016|
|Rohini Acharya||2nd daughter||Married to Rao Samaresh Singh in May 2002||Samaresh is a US-based commerce graduate from SRCC Delhi, son of Rao Ranvijay Singh of Arwal|
|Chanda Singh||3rd daughter||Married an Indian Airlines pilot Vikram Singh in 2006|
|Ragini Yadav||4th daughter||Married to Rahul Yadav, son of Jitendra Yadav in 2012||Jitendra is SP’s MLC, now an INC member and resident of Sarfabad village in Noida|
|Hema Yadav||5th daughter||Married to Vineet Yadav, who is from a political family|
|Anushka Rao||6th daughter||Married to Chiranjeev Rao son of Capt. Ajay Singh Yadav of the INC||Ajay is ex Power Minister of Haryana who had legal issues related to a land scam in Solan|
|Rajlaxmi Singh||7th daughter (youngest)||Married to Tej Pratap Singh Yadav in 2015||SP’s ex-Lok Sabha MP Tej Pratap Singh Yadav is the grand-nephew of Mulayam Singh Yadav|
Corruption and Criticism
- 1996 Fodder Scam – 1st case of ₹ 33.61 crores scammed from Chaibasa treasury: a conviction in 2013
- 1998 Lalu’s disproportionate assets case
- 1996 Fodder Scam – 2nd case of INR89.27 lakh scammed from Deoghar treasury: a conviction in 2017
- 1996 Fodder Scam – 3rd case of INR35.62 crore scammed from Chaibasa treasury: a conviction in 2018
- 1996 Fodder Scam – 4th case of INR 3.97 crore scammed from Dumka treasury: a conviction in 2018
- 1996 Fodder Scam – 5th case of INR184 crore scammed from Doranda treasury: pending in court
- 2005 Indian Railway tender scam: Lalu family booked by CBI
- 2017 Delight Properties 45 crore Benami disproportionate assets and tax evasion cases: Lalu family booked by ED
- 2017 AB Exports 40 crore Benami disproportionate assets and tax evasion cases: Lalu family booked by ED
- 2017 Patna zoo soil scam
- Negative image of corrupt, nepotistic and dynastic politician
Also Read Bioraphy of Mikhail Mishustin PM of Russia.